Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Belinda and Bill's

Today, after school...which is always longer after a 3 day holiday...I went over to Bill and Belinda's new building. Even though it was cold outside it stayed comfortable in there with the heaters. Vox and Breezy (Bill's big white poodle) joined us in training. I started off with a lot of tugging just to get Thai used to the building and the noises. We then did some stand stays with Belinda (no prob!) and big scary Bill (I think it was the hair that did it...wish I had a picture to post LOL). She moved a foot or two each time but the last time was best with just a shift of a front leg. Then we played with some heeling, but I didn't do it very purposefully. I had the pinch on and was walking around, but didn't really get focussed on what we were working on. I need to make a plan, especially for heeling which has sooooo many little parts, so I know what I'm working on. The we bopped. Thai has that game nailed now, bopping both a plastic and wooden stanchion. I got back about 3 feet with her able to bop and sit and bop and sit.

On to the hold which she did for 10 seconds and with a light tap on the end. We then did some short pickups (cuz that is much more fun than holding ) and she even grabbed it between Bill's feet quickly and cleanly. We then pulled out the metal article and did the same thing. She is now comfortable enough with it that I did holds with it as well as pick ups.

The fronts around my feet are much better with Thai going around my fit...not on them LOL.

Breezy, Thai, Vox (in that order) did stays. Thai went down on the sit after about 45 sec. and then was fine for 2 minutes. The down was fine and we had some distractions of balls bouncing, noises, etc. She was rock solid!

Then I went back to heeling and was much more purposeful on what I worked on. Started with pivots, then slow lefts, then large circles with Bill and Belinda creating distractions, and ending with Vox and Thai heeling past each other. She needed a few corrections for lack of attention. Partied hardy afterwards and Thai went on with more energy.

Bill and Belinda even had weave pulls that we pulled out and Thai did on left and right side (it was a set of 6) with Breezy working at the same time.

Maybe part of my training blog needs to include what I will do next time--
1. Make a heeling plan
a) start with some big circles...add distractions, find rythm
b) add pivots and slow left turns and about turns
c)go back to serpentines
d) end with some more distractions

2. Hold up to 15 sec and with light tap
3. increase distance of dumbbell from 4-6 feet to 6-8 feet (like I can toss that accurately LOL)
4. Bop with Thai sitting at stanchion and me moving back to about 6 feet
5. metal article play
6. Stays
7. Stands with men walking by, women beginning to do more than a novice exam

Will I be able to carry through? :) Next time I train obed. will probably be the weekend so we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi -Nice Blog